Sunday, January 26, 2014

Flat Stanley


I took a companion doll with me to a teacher training on Saturday.
Several teachers asked me if I was taking pictures of my doll
like people take pictures of Flat Stanley.
Flat Stanley was one of my favorite books as a child,
and as a teacher, I had even heard of children taking or sending
their paper doll versions of Flat Stanley on adventures
as a way to learn about other places or work on writing and communication skills.






When I got home from the training,
I looked up "Flat Stanley" to learn more about how it is being used as project.

Although people can make their own paper doll with any kind of appearance,
there are a few templates that seem to be popular as place to start
with Flat Stanley.

This creative individual seemed to encourage people to use this template to make one,
to take it out and photograph their Flat Stanley, and then send photos to her.


Click on the photo image to open its own page
and save it if you'd like to make your own Flat Stanley.


This is my favorite version.


Girl paper dolls also work just as well.
This is Flat Stacie, who was created for Girl Scouts to use and share.


This is a less detailed template.



Once people have their own Flat Stanley,
they have entered the world of travel dolls!




Flat Stanley seems to come in a variety of sizes,
and can be a very individual expression.



Some people pose with Flat Stanley.


Some hold him up and photograph him themselves.





Some people find a way to stick Flat Stanley to wall or post
to pose him/her alone.





Well, once you have a paper doll out in the world,
you might as well have something more sturdy,
like a cloth doll...
or a wood doll... or a polymer doll...
or a Hitty!!!

This looks exactly what I have done for years
with my travel doll companions!


And then...
I discovered something more!
There is an app for that! Yes, there is a free Flat Stanley app.
You can create a boy or girl doll.
Actually, you can create multiple dolls
with a choice of hair, skin color, outfits and shoes
and then name your characters.
It stays in your phone, but when the app is open,
you can place your Flat Stanley in the photo!

Jose

Rosa


The character can be moved around your screen or made larger
for horizontal and vertical photos.
There is a feature for a journal,
and a feature where you can "send them away" and bring them back home.
I have not figured out what actually happens when they are sent away,
but Jose was inserted in a photo with a farm background when
I sent him to Oregon. I brought him back in 3 minutes.


Rosa visited Hewlett-Packard.
This garage is the birthplace of the computer!



I am not giving up my real travel dolls,
but there are times when one is not with me,
or when good judgment keeps me from propping up a doll
to photograph in certain situations or locations.
The virtual version could come in handy!

My Flat Stanley App Photo Album:

The idea of a travel paper doll is also interesting.
Maybe I will make one for myself, or for my travel doll companions.
Maybe Hitty Jubilee wants her own travel paper doll?















No comments:

Post a Comment