Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Albuquerque Museum of Art

Today,
I visited the Albuquerque Museum of Art.


It hosts a variety of special exhibits throughout the year,
but photography is only allowed with the permanent collections.


I learned about the lifestyle, history, and art
of the people of New Mexico.



The Spanish conquistadores were soldiers
who came to New Mexico to find gold
and claim the territory for Spain.



 They wore metal vests called "chain mail".
This is a modern reproduction visitors are invited to touch.


The Pueblo people who had been living here
for hundreds of years before the Spaniards
made pottery to be both beautiful and functional.



Artists from the past 100 years can be pretty creative, too.
Much of the art reflects the land and culture in New Mexico.
I like this miniature building of an old trading post because it was almost my size.
It was kind of like a trip down old Route 66.




Animal figures made of wood or paper mache
are a part of the regional folk art.


Coyotes are particularly symbolic in many Native American
cultures. He plays a part in the stories and legends 
passed on to children.



Other art and folk art pieces reflect the religious
faith and culture.








They have a collection of paintings
by many of the early 20th century artists.


This painting is by Georgia O Keefe.





These are some of my favorite paintings
in the permanent collection.









 The Albuquerque Museum of Art
has a collection of beautiful Navajo jewelry.






They have a large collection of more everyday use
and historical items from early Albuquerque,
but they are remodeling the room and the display of these items.
I can't wait until it opens again.

One odd piece that I like is this small saddle.
I'm not sure if it is a sample of a silver saddle,
but it is unusual.




I enjoy the sculpture garden outside the front of the museum
It is a nice place to visit even when I don't go inside.








Can you find me in this photo?


Here I am!
I am on the saddle!


I found another place to play.
This rock was the perfect place to stand.




Museums can be interesting and fun places to visit!
I hope you enjoyed sharing mine!

















1 comment:

  1. Lovely to see you out and about again Hitty Jubilee. Looks like a really interesting museum.

    ReplyDelete